|UMBERTIDE and GUBBIO
Gubbio municipality: piazza Grande - Perugia - tel. : 075 92371 - fax 075 9275378
Info and booking agritourism and farmhouses: +39 (0)763.390047 - +39 (0)763.393110
Agritourism in the province of Perugia : Perugia agritourism
Gubbio is a municipality of 30.453 abitanti
Umbria agritourism and farmhouses : Umbria agritourism
Gubbio is a town and comune in the far northeastern part of the Italian province of Perugia, (Umbria). At 522 m (1713 ft) above sea-level, it clings to the first slope of Mt. Ingino, a small mountain of the Apennines. Its population according to the 2003 census was 16,800.
The city's origins are very ancient: as Ikuvium, it was an important town of the ancient Umbrian people in pre-Roman times, and is famous for the discovery there of the Eugubine (or Iguvine) Tables, a set of bronze tablets that together constitute the largest surviving text in ancient Umbrian. After the Roman conquest in the 2nd century BC it kept its name with only a slight change (Iguvium) the city remained important, as attested by its Roman theater, the second-largest surviving in the world.
Gubbio became very powerful since the earliest Middle Age. The town sent 1000 knights to fight in the First Crusade under the lead of Count Girolamo Gabrielli, and according to an undocumented tradition, they were the first to penetrate into the Holy Sepulchre when the city was seized (1099).
The following centuries were quite turbulent and Gubbio was engaged in wars against the surrounding towns of Umbria. One of these wars saw the miraculous intervention of its bishop, Saint Ubaldo Baldassini, who secured Gubbio an overwhelming victory (1151) and a period of prosperity.
In 1350 Giovanni Gabrielli, count of Borgovalle, a member of the noblest family of Gubbio, seized the power and became lord of Gubbio. However his rule was short and he was forced to hand over the town to Cardinal Albornoz, representing the Church (1354).
A few years later, Gabriello Gabrielli, bishop of Gubbio proclaimed himself again lord of Gubbio (Signor d'Agobbio). Betrayed by a group of noblemen which included many a relative of his, he was forced to leave the town and seek refuge at his home castle at Cantiano.
With the decay of the political prestige of the Gabrielli family, Gubbio was thereafter incorporated into the Montefeltro State, and eventually became part of the State of the Church when this family extinguished (1631).
In 1860, when the State of the Church collapsed, Gubbio entered the Kingdom of Italy.
The historical center of Gubbio is of concentratedly medieval aspect: it is an austere-looking town of dark grey stone, narrow streets, and Gothic architecture.
A fair number of the houses in Gubbio date to the 14th and 15th centuries, and were originally the dwellings of wealthy merchants; they often have a second door fronting on the street, usually just a few inches from the main entrance, narrower, and a foot or so above the actual street level. This type of door is called a porta dei morti (door of the dead) because it is commonly stated that it was used only for removing the bodies of any who might have died inside the house. This is almost certainly false, but there is no firm agreement on the true purpose of the secondary doors.
Gubbio is known throughout Italy for its palio, the Corsa dei Ceri, a spectacular race held every year on May 15, in which three teams, devoted to S. Ubaldo (the patron saint of Gubbio), S. Giorgio, and S. Antonio, run through throngs of cheering supporters (clad in the distinctive colours of yellow, blue and black, with white trousers and red belts and neckbands), up much of the mountain from the main square in front of the Palazzo dei Consoli to the basilica of S. Ubaldo, each team carrying a statue of their saint mounted on a wooden octagonal prism, similar to a hour-glass shape 5 meters (16 feet) tall and weighing over 400 kilograms (about 900 pounds).
The race has strong devotional, civic, and historical overtones and is one of the best-known folklore manifestations in Italy; the Ceri were chosen as the heraldic emblem on the coat of arms of Umbria as a modern administrative region.
To select an agritourism Umbria try the random research proposed by the page Umbria agritourism: our software will randomly choose 3 agritourism in Umbria.
Umbertide municipality: Piazza Matteotti - Perugia - tel. 075 94191
Umbertide is a town 15.603 inhabitants in the province of Perugia.
For agritourism or farmhouses in Umbertide, select agritourism perugia
For info: +39 (0)763.390047
Umbertide is a town and comune (township) of Italy, in the province of Perugia in northwestern Umbria, 247 meters (810 ft) above sea-level, at the confluence of the Reggia river and the Tiber. It is 30 km (19 mi) N of Perugia and 20 km (12 mi) S of Città di Castello. With 15,300 inhabitants according to the 2003 census, Umbertide is one of the larger towns of Umbria; and basically flat, which is relatively unusual for the region. It is an important regional industrial center producing machine tools, farm machinery, textiles, packaging material, and ceramics.
History and Monuments
Umbertide or the surrounding area was inhabited in pre-Roman and Roman times: the 19th‑century archaeologist Mariano Guardabassi felt that a small building at Lame, about 1 km from the center of the modern town, was Etruscan. The Roman town of Pitulum, destroyed by Totila in the mid-6th century, may account for Roman remains in S. Maria delle Sette. In its present incarnation, Umbertide was founded in the 8th or 10th century, depending on the scholar; its original name was Fratta, and it received its present name in 1863 in honor of then Crown Prince Umberto.
Although there are remains of the medieval walls, a few medieval houses, and part of the Rocca or citadel, many of Umbertide's best monuments are of later periods. The main church in town is the collegiate church of S. Maria della Reggia, often referred to simply as the Collegiata: it is an octagonal 16th century brick building topped by an elegant cupola, housing a few paintings by Pomarancio. S. Maria della Pietà , with the attractive funerary chapel of the counts of Sorbello, is late medieval and Renaissance.
The 17th‑century church of S. Croce houses a museum with a good collection of paintings, including a Deposition by Luca Signorelli. The largest church, S. Francesco, is Gothic: in the early 21st century it was undergoing a major restoration that promised to be protracted. The 20th‑century church of Cristo Risorto is unusually handsome.
Beyond the city limits, the township's principal monuments are:
-the castle of Civitella Ranieri, 5 km (3 mi) NE, one of the best-preserved medieval fortresses in Umbria.
-the abbey of S. Salvatore di Montecorona 4 km (2.5 mi) , which has a beautiful 11th‑century crypt with early Romanesque capitals and 18th‑century painted ceilings.
-the medieval castle of Polgeto
-the abbey church of S. Bartolomeo de' Fossi strikingly sited on a sharp ridge with distant views on either side
-the walled medieval village of Borgo S. Giuliana
If you're searching for Umbria accommodation, you can search also for Umbria farmhouse, Agritourism Terni or Agritourism Orvieto.